In the year 1891, three successful businessmen from Denver traveled to Southeastern Colorado to embark on an exciting business venture: a new town with unforeseen possibilities. Each of these men bought their own tract of land surrounding their new layout of the town. One of the men, George N. Ordway, earned the namesake title through a lucky draw giving the new town the name Ordway. Initially, there were only two tar roofed shacks, a general store, and a bountiful amount of empty land. Mr. Ordway, along with his business partners, took it upon themselves to convince more businessmen from both Denver and Greeley to invest in a project for Ordway that would promise a substantial profit: farming through irrigation. Not only did this prove to be a bright beginning for the Town of Ordway, it is still a part of what Ordway is known for today. The irrigation water in combination with the temperatures and perfect soil created a gold mine of agricultural wealth. The variety of products included onions, plums, apples, corn, and cherries, along with a side business of shipping out Rocky Ford famous cantaloupe.
In Ordway's early years, a train depot was stationed at the edge of town bringing many passengers and goods through for both work and pleasure. This depot was known as the Missouri Pacific Railway Station, and it allowed for many residents to come and go for a day of shopping or farmers to purchase goods from nearby towns. Unfortunately, the original depot caught fire in February of 1918. It was rebuilt the next year, but today it no longer stands. The old railroad tracks through town are a somber reminder of the once busy bustle of travelers from the train. While the historic train station may no longer be a part of Ordway, a newer avenue of travel replaced it. Interstate 71 and State Highway 96 conjoin right in Ordway, bringing in a steady flow of business from visitors.
Looking down Main Street today, much of what Ordway once was, still stands. As the county seat, Ordway has approximately 1,038 residents, several small businesses, public schools, churches, and bountiful parks have remained an integral part of the community. Historically speaking, the heart of Ordway is the Town Hall, built in 1923 and used for a multitude of purposes such as the Town Hall, Community Library, a Police Station, a local jail, and part of it was the old Fire Hall.